Hardware Engineering Jobs Minneapolis
Computer hardware engineers are responsible for the hardware configuration of a computer. They update systems by improving the components, layout and design of a computer for increased efficiency. They are expected to increase the speed and function of the computer. They also design the most compact and cost-effective model possible.
Specifically, these professionals analyze existing systems to identify flaws or inefficiencies and use problem-solving skills to make modifications that will increase the a computer’s functions. Computer hardware engineers develop new designs in the existing components, such as microchips and circuit boards, and then integrate these components in a form fitting layout. These hardware engineers are responsible for the advances in computer systems.
Computer hardware engineers are also responsible for related aspects of computer production. They are required to inspect modified computer systems ensuring that the product meets company standards. They also need to assess customer needs and offer clients technical support.
Some duties include:
- Hardware engineers work in industrial plants, production facilities or research laboratories. They may work individually or as part of a team of designers and technicians.
- These engineers spend much of their time studying existing models in order to detect flaws and inconsistencies as well as pinpoint areas of improvement. They use their technical and applied mathematical skills for troubleshooting. Based on their findings as well as their creative abilities they will then devise more advanced computer systems.
- Engineers must have excellent technical writing skills in order to document their findings. They are expected to submit reports analyzing problems along with recommendations for improvements. They may also be required to create blueprints of enhanced versions of the system. Engineers will select additional equipment to support production of the modified computer. They will either write purchase orders or submit documentation to justify the recommendations for the specified equipment.
- While much of the work that these engineers do is theoretical, some duties involve the practical application of their ideas. Hardware engineers are required to build or oversee the production and assembly of a prototype based on their recommendations. They then test the prototype to ensure that the computer system operates according to specifications. They may continue to make modifications for optimal results.
- They are also required to store data pertaining to system functions and capabilities such as power supply requirements and user abilities.
- Additional duties may consist of supervising and training technicians, designers and inexperienced engineers. The engineers are expected to offer continuous technical support to team members. Depending on the firm, an advanced professional may also be asked to offer consulting services to other companies or individuals.
Hardware engineers often work in the following fields:
- Oil & Gas
- Electrical utilities
- Power plants
- Wind farms
- Architectural & Engineering Firms
- Land development
- Medical device manufacturing
Find Other Automation Engineering Jobs We Fill: See Our Job Openings »